Thursday, December 16, 2010

AUSTRALIANA

I don't know if it's the summer, or just growing to accept it, but lately my appreciation for my home country, Australia has exploded. This is coming from someone who, two years ago, would have called myself an outright American and denied any ties with Australia. Sure my family are immigrants and I don't have any real roots in the Australian history but I can safely say I am indeed an Aussie.


I can't seem to get enough of Australian music from the 80's and 90's, such as Nick Cave, TISM, Gangajang and The Church. I have begun collecting kitschy Australian clothes and craving the beach, beer and Vegemite toast all the time! I, previously a militant vampire, refusing to let my skin, which is naturally a olive hue even see the light of day, am beginning to tan.


 Of course there are many aspects of Australian culture that embarrass me, for instance, the idea that if your family heritage is not of English background then you are a foreigner- Don't even get me started on the amount of levels that that concept is wrong. Australia, a country founded on stolen land and developed by convicts is now a land of freedom to be whoever you want and multiculturalism and anyone who see's that in a negative light don't deserve to live here.
I am also disappointed in the state of our education and health system but I am also thankful we have what we have.
I also hate the fact that even educated journalists say "Junta" instead of pronouncing  "hunta" as it should be, but thats just a little side note...


Yahoo Serious? Who else but Australians could come up with something so stupidly original!

The way Australian's say "Gum nut".

Loves it!

Cannot believe the amount of friends I have who are Australian and have not seen the Mad Max trilogy. Just disgraceful!! It's only the best movies ever and the costuming is heaven. Just heaven.


Im going to stop myself here with the photographic homage (also, you Aussie's out there; It's pronounced "oh-majhh") to my island home. But I will leave you with my favourite TISM song that perfectly encapsulates the culture of Australian high schools and is just all-round the best song- And my current ringtone!

No comments:

Post a Comment